By Kate Leitner
Good Shepherd Catholic Parish http://goodshepherdchurch.us/ currently occupies the church on Rudd Avenue between 35th and 36th Streets. This church was originally Notre Dame du Port, the Church of Our Lady. This small Portland parish has overcome multiple instances of flood damage, as in the 1939 flood shown in the photo. In June 2009, Good Shepherd was formed from the merger of Our Lady, St. Cecilia, and St. Anthony Parishes.
In 1971 the consolidated Community Catholic School was formed by combining Our Lady, St. Cecilia, and St. Anthony schools, and was in operation until 2003. After the school closed, the Community Catholic Center http://communitycatholiccenter.org/ was formed to raise funds to provide Catholic education for the children in Portland.
The second photo shows Rudd Avenue in 1930, just north of Western Parkway (which is now called Northwestern Parkway). A trolley on street car tracks can be seen in the middle of the road, and Our Lady Church can be seen to the left.
Our Lady Flooded 1939
ULPA CS 164420, Caufield & Shook Collection, Photographic Archives, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky.
http://digital.library.louisville.edu/cdm/ref/collection/cs/id/760">Flooded church, Louisville, Kentucky, 1939.
Current Photo by Danny Seim
Rudd Avenue 1930
ULPA MSD.045.009, Metropolitan Sewer Collection, 1981.03, Photographic Archives, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky.