by Kate Leitner

Investor Gil Holland, with the Portland Investment Initiative, has acquired the property at 20th and Portland Avenue.  The long-term plan includes a retail shop on the first floor, and there are great residential tenants currently using the space above.  In 1940, this building was the Louis Ellis Café, which served “Fortuna Whiskey and Hot Soup Day and Night.”

Photography Sources:

ULPA 2009.027.075,  Louisville Storefronts & Saloons Album, Photographic Archives, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky.

Current photo by Danny Seim